LinkedIn has an interesting approach to Continuous Integration in their mobile app. Of special interest are the ‘Fixture tests’ which mock HTTP/AJAX requests, and the ‘Layout tests’ which does a visual comparison against baseline! Would be very interesting to try and integrate the Layout tests into my automated builds..
Our mobile CI consists of a five stage pipeline:
- Mobile continuous integration pipeline
- Unit tests: run in less than 10 seconds to test individual modules/units
- Fixtures tests: test solely the client apps by having them use static/mock data
- Layout tests: test the appearance of the client apps by taking screenshots and comparing them against baseline images
- Deployment: automatically deploy to a staging environment
- End-to-end tests: run end-to-end tests against the staging environment
I’d suggest following the LinkedIn Engineering blog as they often have very interesting articles about their approaches to solving problems.